Our Proud History
The history of the King Christian School
Our history goes back to 1943 when the school opened with 19 students and Mr. J.W. Uitvlugt acting as principal/ teacher. This was the first Christian school of its kind in Canada and was temporarily accommodated in a room at the back of the Holland Marsh Christian Reformed Church.
In 1947, a three-room school was built to house an increase in enrollment. Also at this time, a bus was purchased to transport the ever-increasing number of students coming from the Springdale area. However, with transportation problems and overcrowding in the school, Springdale decided to open their own school in September of 1955.
The effects of Hurricane Hazel in 1954 and the decreased student body as a result of the opening of the Springdale school, led Holland Marsh to the decision to build a new two-room school behind the old one in Ansnorveldt. In September of 1957 the new building was opened and the old one removed. At the same time a group of parents in the Newmarket area organized a school society and began to send their children to the Holland Marsh Christian School. Soon a third room had to be added.
Could better education be provided by having one grade per room?
Amalgamation discussions were held to discuss this question with the Newmarket and Springdale Christian School Societies. The outcome of these talks was seven classrooms in two school buildings by September 1975, under one Board. Amalgamation was concluded in 1981.
In 1982, Springdale Christian School closed its doors. A new addition of four classrooms to the existing four in the Marsh allowed the student body to be housed in one building. A gymnasium, staff room, kitchen, and resource room were also added at that time. The King Township Public Library had the use of one classroom (portable) at the front of the school.
In 1990 student growth necessitated the vacating of the public library from our school building. They subsequently built their own facility on part of the parks land adjacent to the school.
The school society approved the addition of four more classrooms, a new resource room, change rooms, larger staff room, and a new office area. These were ready for September 1991 occupancy.
In the fall of 2005, the Growing our Future...Child by Child capital campaign was launched. A 15 acre parcel of land was purchased at the corner of Graham Sideroad and Bathurst Street and the campaign continues to raise funds for our new facilities. Our new facility was built and we were able to begin classes in the new building on September 8, 2015.
The Lord continues to bless King Christian School as more Christian parents from various church denominations see the need for Christian education. We eagerly anticipate further growth numerically, physically, pedagogically, and spiritually under God’s guidance.